ARMY BARRACKS AND DEPOTS
The earliest description of The Laboratory at Mount
Wise, Devonport, is dated 1823 :
'The Laboratory consist of
twenty-one detached buildings, inclosed by a high wall, and
forming an oblong square. These buildings are designed
to be used as workshops, for smiths, joiners, harness
makers, and other tradesmen employed in the manufactory of
stores requisite for an equipment of a military expedition.
Neat houses for officers are erected on the eastern side,
where the entranced is also situated.'
 "The Tourist's Companion
Being a Guide to the Towns of Plymouth, Plymouth-Dock, Stonehouse,
Morice-Town, Stoke, etc., Messrs Longman, Hurst, Rees, Orme and
Brown, London, 1823.