The Encyclopaedia of Plymouth History
CROWNHILL or PLUMER BARRACKS
Built as Crownhill Barracks in 1891-2 when the land to the west of the Tavistock Road was just a parade ground. The gates were on the line of the old road.
The married quarters were erected on the western side of Tavistock Road in 1898 followed by 4 red-bricked barrack blocks, clearly visible at the top of the photograph on the right, in 1916. The Barracks was further enlarged in 1922.
It received its modern name in honour of Torquay-born Field Marshall the Viscount Herbert Charles Onslow Plumer, who died in 1932.
The Barrack Square at Crownhill
In 1965 the Ministry of Defence agreed to swop Plumer Barracks for additional land around Seaton Barracks; the land to the west of the main road had to be vacated by January 1st 1966 and the buildings were being demolished by September 1966, most of the debris being used at Manadon roundabout.
The Garrison Church of St Alban's, which was located on the eastern side of the Tavistock road, was closed on September 12th 1971.
Apparently the last building to be demolished was the Officers' Quarters and Mess, which was used as the Magistrate's Court in its last years.
The Officers' Quarters at
|© Brian Moseley, Plymouth, UK|
Any problems viewing this webpage should be notified to the webmaster at plymouthdata dot info